The Best Travel to Mongolia from the US
Planning a trip to Mongolia? Here’s what you need to know! Traveling to Mongolia from the United States can be a bit complicated, but we’ve got you covered with everything you need to know.
How to get to Mongolia from the United States
There are a few ways to travel to Mongolia from the United States. The most common way is to fly into the capital city of Ulaanbaatar. You can also take a train from Beijing, China.
If you’re looking for an adventure, you can take the Trans-Mongolian Railway from Moscow, Russia. This journey takes about 6 days and gives you a chance to see some of the countryside.
Once you’re in Mongolia, there are plenty of things to do. You can go Hill climbing and camping in the Gobi Desert, visit the ancient city of Karakorum, or explore the Mongolian steppe on horseback.
The best time to travel to Mongolia
Mongolia is a land of extremes, and the best time to visit depends on what you want to see and do.
The country is huge, and the climate varies dramatically from one region to another. Summer is the busiest time for tourism, but if you’re looking to avoid the crowds, spring or autumn are ideal.
Winter is also a great time to visit if you’re interested in seeing the snow-covered landscapes and enjoying winter activities such as dog sledding and ice fishing. Here’s a breakdown of the seasons so you can decide when to travel to Mongolia.
Spring is a great time to visit Mongolia if you want to avoid the summer crowds. The weather is starting to warm up, but it’s still cool enough to comfortable explore all the outdoor attractions. You’ll also find lower prices on accommodation and activities at this time of year.
Summer is peak season for tourism in Mongolia, so expect higher prices and larger crowds at popular attractions. However, the warmer weather makes it a great time to enjoy all the outdoor activities on offer, such as hiking, horse riding and rafting.
What to see and do in Mongolia
Mongolia is a vast and varied country, with plenty to see and do no matter what your interests are. Here are some of the highlights:
For history buffs:
-The capital city of Ulaanbaatar is home to many museums and historical sites, including the National Museum of Mongolian History and the Bogd Khan Palace Museum.
-Outside of the capital, there are a number of ancient ruins and historical sites to explore, such as the Kharakorum ruins, the Orkhon Valley cultural landscape, and the petroglyphs at Tsagaan suvarga.
For nature lovers:
-Mongolia is home to some of the most beautiful and varied scenery in the world. From the Gobi Desert to the Altai Mountains, there is something for everyone.
-There are also many national parks and protected areas to explore, such as Terelj National Park, Khustain Nuruu National Park, and Barga Els Sand Dunes.
-For those looking for a more unique experience, Mongolia also offers a chance to see some rare wildlife, such as the snow leopard, argali sheep, and Siberian ibex.
Where to stay in Mongolia
There are a few different areas to stay in when traveling to Mongolia and it really depends on what you want to see and do while you’re there.
The first place is Ulaanbaatar, which is the capital city and where most people will fly into. Ulaanbaatar is a great place to start your Mongolian adventure as it has a lot of history and culture. There are plenty of hotels and hostels to choose from in the city, so finding accommodation shouldn’t be a problem.
Next, we have the Gobi Desert. This is one of Mongolia’s main attractions and is definitely worth a visit. The best way to explore the desert is by staying in a ger (traditional Mongolian dwelling). There are plenty of tour companies that can arrange this for you, so just make sure to do your research before booking anything.
Finally, we have Lake Khovsgol. This is a beautiful lake located in the north of Mongolia and is perfect for those who want to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. There are plenty of guesthouses and campsites around the lake, so finding somewhere to stay shouldn’t be too difficult.
How to get around in Mongolia
Mongolian transportation can be a bit of a challenge for visitors from the US. Here are a few tips on how to get around in Mongolia:
1. Public transportation is not very reliable, so it’s best to rent a car or use a private driver.
2. Make sure your rental car has good insurance, as the roads can be very bad in Mongolia.
3. If you’re using a private driver, negotiate the price upfront and make sure you agree on
a price before getting in the car.
4. Be aware of your surroundings when driving, as there are often livestock and pedestrians on the roads.
5. If you’re taking public transportation, be prepared for long delays and crowded conditions.
Tips for traveling to Mongolia
1. Start by doing your research- Mongolia is a vast and remote country, so it’s important to do your homework before you go. Read up on the history and culture, and brush up on your language skills if you’re planning to travel off the beaten track.
2. Plan your route- Mongolia is a huge country, so you’ll need to pick a route that makes sense for your trip. If you’re short on time, consider flying into Ulaanbaatar and then making your way to one of the smaller towns or villages.
3. Pack wisely- Mongolia can be a tough place to travel, so make sure you pack accordingly. sturdy shoes, warm clothes and a good sleeping bag are essential, and don’t forget to pack your camera- there are some truly amazing landscapes to be captured here!
4. Be prepared for anything- Mongolia is known for its unpredictable weather, so be prepared for anything when you travel here. From searing hot summers to bone-chilling winters, you’ll need to be ready for anything!
5. Embrace the adventure- Traveling to Mongolia is an adventure, so embrace it! Be open-minded, flexible and ready for anything, and
Mongolia is a beautiful, unique country that is definitely worth visiting. While it may not be the easiest place to travel to from the US, it is definitely possible and well worth the effort. We hope that our tips have helped you plan your trip and that you have an amazing time exploring all that Mongolia has to offer.
If you are planning to travelling to Mongolia, must travel in winter, it’s the best time.